Wednesday, September 24, 2008

A Quilter's ABC--J--and a flashback to other Js


The quilt block for J today is Jacob's Ladder. Quite a few blocks have biblical references to their names, this one going back to Jacob's dream at Bethel in Genesis 28 in which the Lord God echoed the promises made to Abraham.


12 He had a dream in which he saw a stairway resting on the earth, with its top reaching to heaven, and the angels of God were ascending and descending on it.



I had thought that this was also an echo of my J post in round 2, but found instead that I had used the flower Elegant Jacob's Ladder for E.

~

I am glad that I did look back to my J post from Mt. Rainier, though, as it was the Jackson Visitor Center. This coming weekend the center will close and temporary visitor's services be in place for a couple of weeks as the new Visitor Center will open on October 10. The old Center--resembling a flying saucer, which was appropriate in vision for its time-- has served visitors for over forty years, but is cumbersome and expensive to maintain and has been deteriorating.

~

Views out like this one will be similar in the new site...

...but some of the interior features will be missed.

The new Henry M. Jackson Visitor Center (shown here under construction in late June as viewed from the old) will serve well for many years, will fit into the historic National Park style architecture of the area, and be better suited for its mountain environment which gets many hundreds of inches of snow each year.

But the old will be missed.

~

Visit ABC Wednesday's Anthology blog for more Js, or visit ABC's Mr. Linky to find other players in their originals.

13 comments:

Rune Eide said...

A highly original J - and good luck with the winter!

Daryl said...

I just love the quilts and the explanation of the patterns ... I must remember to show you the photo of my quilted duvet cover .. its a heart pattern and the quilter asked me a lot of questions about likes, dislikes, hobbies, etc. and then found the most amazing fabrics to piece together for the hearts and each piece was a reflection of things we like/do!

:-Daryl

Mary said...

Wonderful! I've always wanted to make a Jacobs Ladder quilt. Maybe this will inspire me to start picking out fabric :-) I'll have to send that part about the center to my sister in Seattle. Nice post!

Anonymous said...

The new place certainly looks alpine and more in keeping.

mrsnesbitt said...

We sang a song with the same title in sunday school, many mant years ago!

Bear Naked said...

A perfect J choice for ABC Wednesday.
Those photos of the Jackson Visitor Center are wonderful.
What a view!

Bear((( )))

Nydia said...

As usual I loved this piece of art. I have to print these quilts to show Rodrigo's grandmother, she'll love it.

That last photo is beautiful, like a postcard!

Kisses from Nydia.

Richard Lawry said...

My mom is a quilter. I will have to ask her if she has seen the Jacob's Ladder block.

Reader Wil said...

Good informative post! Have a nice week!

PERBS said...

Loved that snow shot! I thought you were just going to do all quilts for your meme. I still can't figure out the triangle for sewing it or for that matter, cutting it. lol

Miss_Yves said...

Thanks for your visit
Original choice!
I 'm surprised to discover a biblic meaning in quilt patterns (unknown in France)thanks for sharing!
Beautiful mountain architecture , so neat!
Miss Yves

kouji said...

that is a fascinating looking interior indeed.

Kim from Hiraeth said...

What a beautiful quilt; one of my favorite patterns!