Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A Quilter's ABC--N is for Nine Patch

Other Ns for ABC Wednesday can be found at the ABC Wednesday Anthology blog or by following the links at the ABC Mr. Linky.
Thank you to Mrs. Nesbitt, whose idea brought this ABC into the blogosphere. She needs help to continue it. If you can help her with the meme, let her know.



N is for Nine Patch

It is, perhaps, the simplest of blocks, but can make an striking or elegant quilt. This one is on our bed--black and bold nine patch blocks set with a bright funky flower between. The blocks are from the first nine-patch swap that I did with my online quilt guild Washington State Internet Quilters.
Color and setting make a difference. These floral and off-white nine patch blocks--from another swap--are actually set in almost the same way as the black ones. Instead of the alternating applique flowers the nine patch blocks are side by side with sashings of a contrasting color. Amazing how different they look!

I have made many very different quilts with nine patch blocks, but the photos are on computer that is being repaired and the quilts are in the hands of others.

24 comments:

PERBS said...

I like the black one better because it ties it all in. The other one needed a bright color to tie it all together, I think. I like 9 square.

Melissa said...

Both are so pretty! Great N choice.

Maria said...

I love the first one with those strong colours. Great choice!

Unknown said...

Quilts always make me think of my Grammy. Her ladies church group used to have quilting bees. I loved her quilts. Thanks for sharing this.

Anonymous said...

There must be millions of combinations.

earthlingorgeous said...

What lovely quilt patches! Awesome! Great N post!

Suburbia said...

Lovely quilts :)

Liz Hinds said...

The first one is very dramatic. I must remember to post the photos I took of quilts from Swansea quilters meeting at Linden last week. I took them thinking of you!

Daryl said...

LOVE the black background quilt ... it would look so nice in my house with lots of white cat hair on the black and black cat hair on the colors ...

:-Daryl

photowannabe said...

The strong colors of the black 9 patch is my favorite. I never knew there were so many designs for creating quilts.

D Herrod said...

Pretty. I don't have the patience for quilting.

Leslie: said...

Another wonderful pattern! :D

Jane Hards Photography said...

Love this n. It's so personal to you and a somwthing completely new to me.

Miss_Yves said...

Nice blankets !
I prefer the first one, but I apologize you for this wonderful job and this great choice !
miss Yves

Richard Lawry said...

Beautiful quilts

An Arkie's Musings

Sherrie said...

Hi!
Love that black Nine Patch! It's beautiful! Thanks for stopping by my place. Take Care!!

Sherrie

Unknown said...

So many different things you could do with the colors. A very cool pattern.

Alan said...

Pretty quilts. Don't have much need for them in Florida these days, but I know my great grandmother etc had quite a few she was proud of.

VP said...

I AM enjoying your quilter's ABC. When I start my first quilt (I have the stash, just need the corage to begin now), this'll become my point of reference.

Mary said...

I love that black 9-patch! I really like black in quilts. My sister-in-law and I are making a 9-patch for her mother for Christmas, so maybe these settings will give me ideas.

Dragonstar said...

I love the black one as well - so strong and dramatic, yet the blocks look fairly simple. The appliqué flowers are a great touch.

Dragonstar said...

Now I'm back on behalf of the new ABC team - I'm sure everyone would agree with me when I say how much we all enjoy your contributions each week.

kml said...

The black one looks like stained glass - beautiful!

Kim from Hiraeth said...

I've always loved the simplicity of a 9 patch.