Saturday, December 20, 2008

Fall into Reading Challenge

was originated by Katrina at Callapidder Days ~
Spring has sprung and Fall has fell
Yes, Fall has fell--and how did you do on your Fall into Reading Challenge?
~
I will review my list and report on what I managed to do with it. Original post in black, not done in green, accomplished in red.

Non-fiction--not always my favorite genre
Finish The Last Child in the Woods--by Richard Louv --Well, it did find its way to my bedside, where it is still sitting untouched.


Finish the Arizona Highways book on photography--I forget the exact title and forget where it is but I will find it. Still among the missing. It will turn up and I will finish it eventually. I wonder if it is in hiding with my watch.

Both of these next two got some considerable attention. As I said, they are not the kind of thing you read from cover to cover, but they were very helpful in planning our trip in November.

The Back Roads from Arizona Highways--not to read in its entirety but to plan with.
Utah's National Parks --by Rod Adkison--do you see where we are going here?

Though I did not read this in its entirety, I did finish enough of it to be ready for the discussion.

No Salvation Outside the Poor by Jon Sobrino--This will be the springboard for a discussion at Sr. Julie's blog on Blog Action Day October 15.
~

Juvenile Fiction--It matters not that I am no longer active as a school librarian, I have grandchildren to advise and share with.
Peter and the Secret of Rundoon--by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson

Oh, yes--very good sequel. I am enjoying this series and so are my grandchildren.

Jenny Nimmo's new series-- I listened to the first of these--The Snow Spider-- on CD. Perhaps it is because I am not immersed in the enthusiasm of the kids at school for it, but I did not think it was a s good as her Charlie Bone series.

Adult non-mystery Fiction
The Fiery Cross--part of the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon
These are quite a departure for me, as I usually read mostly mystery.

Not only did I read this one, but finished the series and read on semi-related title from the same author. I think that there were two after The Fiery Cross.

Bad Girls of the Bible by Liz Curtis Higgs -- just invited to join a book club and this is the October book. I got started on this, and would have finished it had I been able to attend the book club meeting. But I was not and I could not well relate to the modern stories used to illustrate the Biblical bad girls.

Just added--9/25--Something from P.G. Wodehouse. Maybe I can find one I haven't read before--what a delight. Totally forgot about doing this. Well, maybe when I go to the library later.

Mystery
Some of the Father Brown stories by G. K. Chesterton Well, I found one from the series that I had not had and read two and a half of the stories. Then DH took over the book, so I went on to something else.

Go back to one of the Lord Peter Wimsey mysteries by Dorothy Sayers

Never got to this one.

However, I did read six Cat Who... books from Lillian Jackson Braun, four J. A. Jance mysteries --one each from two and two from another of her series. I do love her settings. As I was reading one, the characters had to go pick up the dad's truck from a certain Arizona rest area--we had just driven past it. And also Faye Kellerman's The Burnt House.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I didn't think I would be able to put together a list of any length at this point, but it looks like I have a plan. Of course, a trip to the library could very easily alter the plan very quickly when my eye catches something new and interesting looking.
Well, that trip to the library thing sure was accurate. I also read Weird Washington. I am currently in the midst of The Mayflower and the Pilgrims' New World--which is adapted for young people from Mayflower, but seems to me to be very complete and is very readable. It includes information I was not aware of, and I have read some on the subject because of notorious ancestors in Plymouth (who had not come on the Mayflower, but were there on later boats.)
Here is Katrina's wrap up post. It remains to be seen how all the challenged did on their lists. Did they stick to them? or wander as I did?

6 comments:

Sherrie said...

Hi!
Your list sounded very interesting. Maybe you'll be able to finish some of them later. And find the one that go lost with your watch. And I love J. A. Jance. Her books are awesome!! Have a safe and happy holiday!

Sherrie

Anonymous said...

That notorious ancestor (what was left of him anyway) makes an appearance in Sarah Vowell's book, The Wordy Shipmates.

Just Mom said...

Congratulations on what you accomplished with the challenge!

SmilingSally said...

You had quite a few interruptions. Perhaps you'll be able to finish them up. Then again, perhaps they're not for you. Here's my wrap-up post:

http://bookcritiques.blogspot.com/2008/12/fall-into-reading-2008-wrap-up.html

Beth F said...

Yeah! A Gabaldon fan!!!

I wrote my wrap-up post last month here.

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

It looks like you got a lot of reading done this fall -- good job! Thanks again for being part of the challenge.