Friday, May 1, 2009

Bird in the chimney?

I think I have a bird in my chimney. I hear the rustling sounds that occur when this happens. I don't know how they get in there because the chimney top is screened, but it happens every so often, and is pretty annoying when it does.

Most folks, if a bird gets into the chimney, would likely end up with a bird coming into the house through the fireplace. We have no fireplace. We removed it quite a few years ago. We just have a chimney.

So actually, if the bird is there, it is probably easier to get it out of the house than if we did have a fireplace. Here is the process: 1. Find an old pillowcase. 2. Figure out how the device you have blocked the chimney pipe with works. This figures in #4. 3. Position the pillowcase over the stub of chimney pipe that protrudes from the ceiling. 4. Keeping the pillowcase in place, remove the plug that blocks the chimney pipe. Since you have to do that blind, number 2 is such an important step. 5. Wait for the bird to drop into the pillowcase. 6. Grasp the top of the pillowcase closed, take the bird outside and release it. 7. Reseal the chimney pipe.

The noises have stopped. the curious bird has either failed to enter the chimney, or managed to get out. I am glad. I didn't want to deal with a bird in the chimney pipe this morning.

Of course, there was once when the cats...

Remind me to tell that story when we both have time...

4 comments:

Daryl said...

I am already feeling worried for the bird in the cat story

Anonymous said...

Clumsy Cat chased the bird awkwardly. More agile cat chased the bird less awkwardly. You chased the bird to save the bird, not able to shoo the cats away. The more agile cat caught the bird. You shoved the cat out of the house. We all rushed on over to church.

I'm sure you'd have a more interesting way of telling the story, though.

-- Justin

Katney said...

Well, actually, that was probably a different cat and a different bird. Or maybe just a different bird. Was there a Christmas tree involved in that one?

Janie said...

I'm glad the poor bird got out. I can't imagine the cat story ends well for a bird in the chimney.