Tuesday, July 7, 2009

ABC Wednesday--Just in Time--Y is for...

Camping in a Yurt in the Washington State Parks. We went on our annual camping trip with the grandkids last week at Seaquest State Park, and although we camped in our Little Guy, the action was at Yurt Village where the three families of kids were.
The traditional yurt is the skin covered home of nomadic people of Mongolia. You can learn more about them here at Wikipedia. Washington is not the only state where you can rent a yurt at a state park, and from the results of an Internet search, they are also being sold as homes.
Danny helped camp host Larry take care of the yurt village and other duties in the campground.
Seaquest aState Park is situated west of Mt. St. Helens National Volcanic Monument and is a kind of gateway to the Mt. St. Helens experience. Some other views from our visit were used in my Sunday's Psalm post this week and I promise more to come.
ABC Wednesday--thanks to Denise who started it and to all those who are linked to us here. Round 4 ends next week. What will Round 5 bring?

14 comments:

photowannabe said...

Very original post for the letter Y. My son has camped in Yurts in Oregon and just loved it. Looks like fun.

Janie said...

Great Y choice. Interesting that Washington state has yurts.
The Ashley National Forest in our area has several yurts used for ski tours or summer outings. We skied to one and spent the night with the family some years ago. It was fun, but I'm not sure I'd want to spend the winter in one.

PERBS said...

You find the most interesting things! I wonder if they would work for homeless people after disasters?

PERBS said...

I like your header! It is quite the photo!!!!!!

I don't knpw what the matter is at my site but I can't change headers or anything. It's not because I don't know how to -- blogger jsut won't let me.

Roger Owen Green said...

I knew this Mongolian couple so I knew yurts. But a great choice.

Phoenix said...

Wow that is too cool! I had no idea that those were a type of traditional home! Thank you so much for that info! :)

Marie Reed said...

That is fascinating! I'm going to do some more research about yurts in my area! I'd just love to stay in one! Great Y!

Rune Eide said...

Very special. The Sami people in Scandinavia has the "lavvo" for a similar purpose. Now undergoing a revival.

Gerald (Ackworth born) said...

My that is an interesting Y - I had heard the word before but didn't expect to find them in your neck of the woods.

Jane Hards Photography said...

This is how I like my camping vitually. Interesting and original choice. Not heard of Yurt before.

Mary said...

How interesting! Never been in a yurt before. Very convenient for the letter Y :-)

Q said...

Yurts are so cool!
I am looking forward to seeing your z!
Sherry

imac said...

Looks fun.

jay said...

I've read about yurts, and that you could camp in modern versions, but I've never tried it. Good to see these tradition dwellings being used in this way! Even if they are modern canvas!