Monday, February 8, 2010

It's Geometry (#1)


In high school I was very good at geometry. I remember that I even proved a theorem that my teacher didn't expect anyone to prove.

Nearly fifty years later I use geometry all the time as a quilter. I couldn't prove a theorem if I had to.

There is geometry all around us. I love the lines and angles and circles and arcs I see in nature, architecture, agriculture, industry, and of course, quilting. That's what I plan to post on Mondays for the foreseeable future. If you would like to join me with Geometry Mondays, make a mention in a comment. If you post your geometry on another day, then that's fine, too. We'll be in a mood to look for it.

10 comments:

Lew said...

Interesting theme! And a great shot to illustrate some of the shapes. My Odd Shot is circular.

imac said...

Wired for sound.

Martha Z said...

This reminds me of my life in the Owens Valley with the power lines marching its length. It reminds me, too, of my father's grand-aunt who wrote geometry texts in the early 20th century.

Charlene Amsden said...

I giess there is some geometry in the odd shot I prepared for today since I didn't know I wasn't supposed to ....

I have often thought "angles" would be a good theme -- geometry is a much cooler name, though. I plan to join you, though beware, I have been having short term memory issues!

Charlene Amsden said...

Argh! I forgot my link and your comment box is discriminatory against non-Google based blog hosts.

You know what. Never mind. Too much work. I don't have time to leave a link. They find it or they don't.

Katney said...

Sorry Quilly. After rejecting 27 anonymous spam comments in the last 24 hours, I went back to no anon comments. That may be the issue, but Open ID should work. Oh, well,.

To see Quilly's geometry, visit Quentessentially Quilly .

Paulie said...

Nice shot with that blue sky! I posted a blog over a year ago with Geometric skies and phone wires.

H.S.N PHOTOGRAPHY said...

Hi! Wonderful

Thumbelina said...

Katney - wonderful. There is geometry in almost everything we see, if we care to look. Our Creator is very mathematical don't you think?

Charlene Amsden said...

Thank you Katney -- my comment sounded so bad! I really meant I was out of time. I wasn't angry at you!

Open ID doesn't work for me because they refuse to let me update there and it takes you to my old blog -- as does the blogger link. Alas. If I wasn't already late and had more sense, I just would have written:

quilldancer.com