Monday, July 12, 2010

On Top of My World





My fortune cookie last week said I would be on top of the world.



I felt that I was when I took this picture near the Fremont Lookout.















Some others were closer to the top and had been even closer.





Do you see them?



















How about now?

Approximately ten thousand people a year attempt the summit of 14,410 foot Mt. Rainier.
About half of them make it. the others turn back becasue of weather (not an issue this past weekend when these were taken), altitude sickness, or fatigue. Many go with guide services. Others do the climb with friends. Many do it more than once. It requires proper equipment, training in climbing skills, and determination.

For those forced to turn back because of weather or other dangerous conditions, it may be a disappointment, but the mountain will be there another day. We saw a helicopter airlift an injured climber off the mountain yesterday. He was injured on the way down, so after a successful summit.

And that's the story from the top of my world, where among other things, we shoveled some snow this weekend and marked trails to make them safer for those of us whose top of the world looks more like the first picture.

5 comments:

Sylvia K said...

It is a gorgeous mountain and your photos are awesome! Hope you have a great week!

Sylvia

Powell River Books said...

Your view looks challenging enough for me. Actually, more challenging than I could handle. I admire people who can push themselves to achieve such lofty goals. - Margy

imac said...

Wonderful shots.

Barb said...

I have a friend who succeeded once in climbing Rainier and had to turn back twice. Your photos are wonderful! You on top of your world is super.

Liz Hinds said...

Wow! I struggled to see the climbers at first, even in the close-up photo. That is a big hike!!