Tuesday, January 25, 2011

ABC Wednesday--B


 I guess I am establishing a pattern (no pun intended) of finding and posting a "sketch" of a quilt block for the letter of the week, and not getting the block made till the following week. Hopefully I will get caught up.

Today's sketches for the letter B:


Block
 Island
 Puzzle

The block was originally published in Quilter's Newsletter Magazine sometime in the 70s. Where Block Island might be, or what else it references, I do not know.



This one is a
Blazing
Star.

It is one of fourteen blocks known by that name. The naming of quilt blocks is influenced by time and region. A block know by one name in one state in the late 1880s, might be called something else in another area in the 1930s.

This version of the Blazing Star was published in 1966 by Dolores Hinson in Quilter's Manual in the 60s.
Last week I posted a sketch of Anna's Block which I decided could as easily be called Anna's Star. Here is my block. I thought it would be easy. It wasn't difficult, but it did take some concentration, as I sewed some parts together pretty strangely trying to find a shortcut way of assembly.


ABC Wednesday Round 8 is at home here. Thanks Denise and all who help her keep it going and all those who participate.

12 comments:

ChrisJ said...

I really like the first two designs and colors. Quilting is beyond my world of experience I'm afraid. But I can still enjoy looking at them.

Roger Owen Green said...

I love the middle one especially!
ROG, ABC Wednesday team

photowannabe said...

You have given yourself a fascinating challenge. love the squares and am looking forward to the coming weeks.

Lulu Post said...

I love Anna's star. Visiting you from ABC Wednesday. Following your blog too. I hope you can return the favor.

B is for Books

Julie said...

I looked at all three designs and thought oh I could paper piece all three... like I have nothing else to do at the moment! I look forward to seeing all the blocks.

Cheryl said...

As the daughter and niece of quilters, I'm fascinated that you've chosen this project.

Block Island lies off the coast of Rhode Island.

Cheryl
ABC Team

Katney said...

Cheryl!!!! Thank you. I knew it sounded familiar. In all meanings of the word--as in family history. My ancestor John Oldham was killed by the Indians there in 1636. It was the spark that set off the Pequot War--the first Indian war.

I may have to make a whole quilt of that block.

imac said...

Shapes,colours, nice pics and work my friend.

Wanda said...

Love quilts ...this will be a great challenge, and I look forward each week to see your block!

Paulie said...

Each . . . so beautiful! I wish I could do such intricate quilting and make it look so good!

Troy said...

Back when I was a kid, my mom made us all learn how to quilt. Once she was sure we knew how, she wouldn't let us quilt on most of the quilts she made.

I think she just wanted to make sure we appreciated how much work went into a quilt, so we would never take her work for granted.

These are some beautiful block, If you do one each week, by the end of June, you should have an ABC quilt all ready to show off!

Great B Post! On behalf of the ABC Wednesday team, thank you for participating. We are off to a great start this round, and hope to see you back each week.

Troy - ABC Wednesday Team

Martha Z said...

This may become a challange to find a block for each letter. I wonder if there is one for each.