Friday, March 30, 2012

Big Birds

Just enough reflection that I could link this to Weekend Reflections, but I really want to show off these birds that we saw at the Grass Valley Rest Area north of Weed on our recent trip. I am hoping that Martha Z or someone will identify them.




I had spotted some white birds and wanted to check on them--some more tundra swans such as we had seen a few weeks ago at the Wildlife Refuge.









When we pulled into the rest area I spotted the three tall birds out of the corner of my eye and thought they were blue herons. Once I got a good look, I knew they were not. But what are they?

3 comments:

Dina said...

Hi Katney, lucky you to see such big birds.

I think our migrating cranes in the Galilee are Grus grus, the common gray crane.
Please see
http://www.agamon-hula.co.il/topic/gallery/images/nid/92/tid/6

eileeninmd said...

Hi, they look like Snadhill Cranes and in the second shot are swans. Great sighting and photos.

Liz Hinds said...

How wonderful to see such magnificent birds.