Wednesday, February 3, 2016

In the Kitchen

My own kitchen is not currently fit to be photographed--unless you want to see the disaster that it sometimes is. Let's just say we are not House Beautiful ready. We flit in, cook, heat, eat, and clean up (or sometimes don't) and are gone again.

My favorite kitchen is this one:
Cooking pizza at Cousin Camp     



This past weekend, however, I did cook lunch for a group of about sixty in our church kitchen.

My header is the taco soup at a simmer.
 Here are some of the goodies that are served along with...


Beverages of choice

And such is to the day that there was about an inch of soup left in the pot when we went back to our studies.
 
The recipe:
Brown together:
2 pounds lean ground beef or turkey
1 large onion chopped

Add undrained canned vegetables:
2 14½ oz. cans diced tomatoes
1  14½ oz can Mexican style tomatoes
1 4 oz can chopped green chilies
1 15 oz pinto beans
1 15 oz can kidney beans
1 15 oz can black beans
1 15 oz can hominy
1 14½ oz can whole kernel corn
1½ can water
1 1¼ oz package taco seasoning mix
1 ½ oz package ranch dressing 

I also add a can of drained olives and for this group used jalapeƱo chilies.

Bring to a boil - reduce heat - cover and simmer 30-45 minutes or till lunch.

Serve with sour cream, chopped green onions, grated cheese, and tortilla chips.

This is supposed to be 16-20 servings. That depends on appetites.

Of course, for the large group at the retreat I doubled this recipe and also served a big pot of potato soup


Check out the kitchens of my colleagues in the weekly header challenge. Their links are in my sidebar.


5 comments:

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Very nice Kathy, fun post.

Lew said...

Delightful pics! And no one went hungry that day!

imac said...

Fresh Air Kitchen for Kathy eh, all looking good and loads of fun, by the look of it all.

heritagemom said...

I think everyone has a version of taco soup! Yours sure looks yummy. I'm still in my kitchen a lot, but I can see getting to the point where I'm there less and less as our guys fly the nest. I'll always love to cook, though!

Paulie said...

Looks yummy but I think I prefer the potato soup since I am an Idaho native, Nice to see you are still keeping busy! I am relearning how to use a computer since I stopped blogging a couple years ago when I was busy making neckscarves. Now, I am using an I pad for the past month. Hope I can learn to use it as well as my old computers (which I don't have hooked up presently). Hope you and family are doing well and got to go to Rainier recently as planned,