Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Something Old

So it occurred to me while I was thinking of something old that I could use pictures of the ghost town Bodie California, or older still  maybe Edinburgh Castle from our Scotland trip, or even Hadrian's Wall which was constructed in the first century A.D.

Then while in Arizona for my grandson's graduation we made a road trip to a cooler part of the state for the day. Cooler as in it was 91º F. instead of 107º.

Along the way we passed among a forest of saguaro cactus.

I have read in more than one source that the saguaro does not grow any arms until it is about 70 years old. So these guys are roughly my own age.




And this one, a bit older--though only an adolescent in cactus years.


As we passed many many multi-armed specimens  it made me wonder. If the cactus has fifteen arms, how old could it be? There were some like that.

How old, for example is this guy?

I count ten arms, though I could be mistaken.

So this ridge, then, is a veritable old age home for saguaro.

My friends among the headbangers, may very well have things older than mine in their headers this week, but count on me to be way outside the box with it.
 Their links are in my sidebar near the top.

3 comments:

imac said...

Nature and Cacti, sure is Something Old Kathy.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

What a fun idea Kathy.

heritagemom said...

I love the old age home for saguaros! What an amazing plant.